30 plant points
Research has shown that those who eat 30 different plant-based foods per week have a more diverse gut microbiome than those who ate less than 10.
A more diverse gut microbiome is a general indicator of good gut health and means you have a wide diversity of beneficial bacteria that can carry out a range of actives including -
- Digesting fibre that we are unable to digest
- Detoxifying toxic products
- Serving as a barrier against pathogens
- Supporting the immune response
- Helping with the product of certain vitamins and minerals
What counts as your 30?
Fruit, vegetables, legumes and whole grains all count as 1 point - you can only count the food once. For example, if you had a banana Monday and Tuesday that is only 1 point. Herbs and spices are 1/4 of a point.
Examples of your plant based foods -
- Butternut squash
- Red kidney beans
- Black beans
- Butter beans
- Brown rice
Nuts & Seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Chia seeds
Herbs and spices
- Chilli powder