Constipation is common and can affect children of all ages. It can usually be fixed at home with small dietary or lifestyle changes.
It is likely to be constipation if:
- You have not had a poo at least 3 times in a week
- The poo is often difficult to push out and larger than usual
- The poo is dry, hard or lumpy
Constipation can be caused by many factors including not eating enough fibre, not drinking enough fluids and being inactive. Up to 38% of pregnant women experience constipation which can be caused by prenatal supplements, hormonal fluctuations or changes in physical activity.
Whilst constipation is normal and shouldn’t cause worry, it can leave women feeling uncomfortable.
Some tips to help avoid constipation during pregnancy
- Eat foods high in fibre such as wholemeal breads, cereals, fruit and vegetables and pulses such as beans and lentils
- Exercise regularly, however, ensure to adapt your exercise
- Drink plenty of water
Friendly bacteria can also help to ease and reduce constipation. These friendly bacteria can help to modulate the gut microbiome which is responsible for regulating immune function, digestive health and inflammation and may help to maintain a regular toilet routine.
Friendly bacteria are safe to consume throughout pregnancy and are well tolerated.
- nhs.uk. (2019). Constipation. [online] Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/constipation/ [Accessed 12 Dec. 2019]
- nhs.uk. (2019). Common health problems in pregnancy. [online] Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/common-pregnancy-problems/ [Accessed 12 Dec. 2019].
- Trottier, M., Erebara, A. and Bozzo, P. (2012). Treating constipation during pregnancy.
- Canadian Family Physician, 58(8), pp.836-838.
- Product that might suit you
Probio7 Pregnakalm contains 3 live strains of friendly bacteria carefully selected to complement the flora naturally present in pregnant women.
Each sachet provides 4 billion friendly bacteria of three researched probiotic strains; Lactobacillus rhamnosus Bifolac® GG, Lactobacillus acidophilus Bifolac®5, Bifidobacterium animalis ssp. lactis Bifolac® 12. Pregnakalm also contains the recommended daily dose of Folic Acid (400μg) which helps reduce the risk of neural tube defects in your baby.
- 3 strains proven for pregnant women
- With Blueberry Extract
- 400μg of Folic Acid
- Suitable for women before & during pregnancy
- Gluten-Free, GMO-Free & suitable for Vegans