Children can experience a wide range of digestive problems from vomiting and diarrhoea to complaining about constipation and stomach pain.1 When your child is experiencing tummy troubles, it is important to try and identify the cause behind it.
Whilst these are common symptoms seen in children, you and your GP know your child best. If symptoms persist, do not hesitate to call your GP.
REASON 1: DIET
Diet and food insensitivities is one of the major culprits of digestive issues in children. Some foods can commonly cause digestive issues, known as “trigger foods”(2).
Try keeping a food diary of your child’s diet which could be used to help pinpoint what foods are triggering a digestive upset. However, it is important not to cut any large food groups out of your child’s diet without referring to a health specialist first as this can limit their diet and may lead to deficiencies.
REASON 2: STRESS
When your child is stressed it may result in physical signs such as, increased bloating, gas and occasional diarrhoea.(3)
Try make sure your child has time for outdoor play to relax and unwind!
REASON 3: TRAVEL
Whilst going on holiday is fun, new environments, change in sleep schedule and travel can cause digestive upset in children.
Try drinking lots of water. It is easy to get dehydrated, especially when you’re trying to pack lots into your day! Hydration is essential to digestive health, so make sure your child is always carrying a bottle of water when away.(4)
HOW TO MANAGE THESE SYMPTOMS?
Digestive problems are often inevitable however, a daily dose of probiotics can help balance your child’s gut bacteria and improve their digestive health. This can help reduce the number and severity of digestive upset.
Probio7 Kidskalm has been specially formulated to have a beneficial effect on children’s health by improving their microbial balance in their intestines to support their digestive and immune health. The active ingredient of Kidskalm is the live strain Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG. This is clinically proven to be safe and naturally present in the human intestine. Each sachet contains six billion live active cultures, is flavourless, travel-friendly, and easy to mix in your child’s favourite drink!
- https://gem-3910432.netOuwehand AC. et al. Influence of a combination of L. acidophilus NCFM® and lactitol on healthy elderly: intestinal and immune parameters. J Nutr. 2009. 101(3):367-75.
- Food intolerance [Internet]. nhs.uk. 2019 [cited 27 August 2019]. Available from: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/food-intolerance/
- Five lifestyle tips for a healthy tummy [Internet]. nhs.uk. 2019 [cited 27 August 2019]. Available from:
- [Internet]. Nhsinform.scot. 2019 [cited 27 August 2019]. Available from: https://www.nhsinform.scot/campaigns/hydration
- Product that might suit you
Probio7 Kidskalm is a dietary supplement especially formulated for children 12 months to late teens, which helps promote and maintain a healthy balance in the gut flora. The active bacteria in Probio7 Kidskalm are 6 billion of the live bacteria strain L. rhamnosus GG*, a clinically proven strain.
- High strength: 6 Billion Friendly Live Bacteria per Sachet
- Well-Researched: Over 200 Human Clinical Studies
- Antibiotic & Stomach-Acid Resistant: Proven to Colonise theGastrointestinal Tract
- Contains Prebiotic Fibres: Contains Inulin &Fructooligosaccharides (FOS)
- 100% Natural Ingredients: No Artificial Colours, Preservatives,Additives or Flavours
- Free From: Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Lactose, GMO, Soy, Eggs,Nuts, Yeast and Salt