rebeChristmas may be slightly different this year but hopefully, you are still able to enjoy some of the Christmas festivities. However, drinking more than normal and eating differently may leave your gut feeling a little unhappy. We have outlined our top tips to get your gut back on track.
- Eat plenty of fibre. Eating fibre may not be your number one priority in terms of food this year. However, fibre acts as a food source for our microbes, helping to keep them happy and healthy. Fibre can also help keep us regular. Try adding some pulses to a winter soup or adding some vegetable sticks and fruit with a festive cheese board for an extra fibre kick!
- Try and be mindful about how much alcohol you’re drinking. Whilst alcohol can be enjoyed as part of a healthy balanced diet, too much can disrupt your gut microbiome. Try swapping out a glass of wine for a mocktail or kombucha (which is also great for your gut!).
- When you are feeling thirsty, drink some water instead of hydrating with alcohol. Aim to drink at least 2L of water a day. Why not try adding some cucumber and mint to a jug of water and leaving it on the table, this should encourage you to keep drinking water throughout the day (plus it will taste great!).
- Whilst there is plenty to watch on TV over Christmas it is important to get outside when possible. Fresh air is a great way to reduce stress and will help keep your microbes happy.
- Plan your meals for the week ahead. Research shows that those who plan their meals and write shopping lists often eat more vegetables and healthier meals.
- Take time to chew and eat your food, this will make it easier to digest your food and leave your tummy a bit happier!